Roe v. Wade: the Radical Pro-abortion “Vision” of Planned Parenthood
In 1997, Gloria Feldt and Sharon Allison, then President and Chairperson of Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) respectively, boasted about Planned Parenthood’s role in constitutionalizing abortion-on-demand through Roe v. Wade. They wrote in PPFA’s annual report,
As we look toward the 25th anniversary of Roe in January 1998, it is clear that Planned Parenthood’s vision was pivotal in that case. It did not spring full-blown from the Supreme Court; in fact, it was a natural evolution from the decades of work by Planned Parenthood’s founder, Margaret Sanger…
Fifteen years later, Americans increasingly self-identify as pro-life and eschew the extreme abortion policy the Supreme Court inflicted on the nation in Roe. In spite of the national trend, and under the guise of “women’s health,” Planned Parenthood has continued to advance its radical pro-abortion vision, and dramatically increased its abortion business—all while receiving increasing subsidies from the American taxpayer.
Dovetailing with our commitment to overturning Roe, Americans United for Life is determined to expose the truth about Planned Parenthood and to remove the abortion chain from the taxpayer dole.
AUL’s “The Planned Parenthood Exhibits” adds to the mounting and incontrovertible evidence that the track record of the nation’s largest abortion provider demands a thorough investigation by both federal and state authorities – and that Big Abortion is not worthy of the more than $1 million dollars a day it receives from taxpayers.
In “The Planned Parenthood Exhibits,” AUL:
- Detailed the Obama Administration’s all-consuming loyalty to Planned Parenthood, demonstrating that the current administration is willing to withhold federal funding for programs such as Medicaid and thereby deny healthcare to millions of low-income Americans in a brazen attempt to force states to continue to fund the abortion giant.
- Discredited the sham statistic that “abortion is only 3% of Planned Parenthood’s services.”
- Debunked the myth that Planned Parenthood performs mammograms.
- Exposed the radical and pervasive political nature of Planned Parenthood.
- Revealed Planned Parenthood’s efforts to maintain America’s radical pro-abortion policies, securing our position as one of four nations in the world with the most extreme and permissive policies.
- Highlighted Planned Parenthood’s shameful bullying of the Susan G. Komen Foundation to deceptively reinforce its “trusted healthcare provider” façade.
- Documented the often dangerous and substandard care that women receive from Planned Parenthood, including tragic and preventable deaths at its clinics, consistent misuse of abortion-inducing drugs, and the improper use of “telemedicine” to increase the reach and profitability of its abortion business.
- Exposed Planned Parenthood’s callous disregard for women’s health and safety by its insistence on providing misinformation on the risks inherent in late-term abortions, propagating a misinformation campaign about so-called “emergency contraception,” depriving women of information on the psychological risks of abortion, advancing a false mantra that abortion is safer than childbirth, and failing to protect the minor girls it claims to serve.
- Described Planned Parenthood’s “schizophrenia” on the use of ultrasounds, exposing how Planned Parenthood’s opposition to common-sense legislation has its business interests, not the health and safety of women, in mind.
- Revealed Planned Parenthood’s tacit support for sex-discrimination and its apparent willingness to profit from sex-selection abortions.
- Documented Planned Parenthood’s exponential and intentional increase in its abortion business and Planned Parenthood Federation of America’s directive to eliminate prenatal care.
- Detailed “whistleblower” cases alleging that Planned Parenthood has intentionally engaged in improper billing practices.
- Highlighted Planned Parenthood’s use of political intimidation to eviscerate Americans’ First Amendment conscience rights.
- Exposed Planned Parenthood’s “shaping” of healthcare reform to advance a pro-abortion agenda.
As we approach the 40th anniversary of Roe, an anniversary that Planned Parenthood unabashedly “celebrates,” AUL remains resolute that the abortion industry must not be allowed to continue to exploit the women of America and fleece American taxpayers. Women deserve better than the radical pro-abortion “vision” of Planned Parenthood, the “natural evolution” of Margaret Sanger’s work imposed on the nation by Roe.