As Planned Parenthood prepares to celebrate its centennial anniversary in 2016, evidence is increasing that the abortion giant’s future will be defined by an intentional and purposeful increase in its abortion business, and an aggressive take-over of the U.S. abortion “market.” Coinciding with Planned Parenthood’s heightened focus on expanding its already substantial abortion business is a notable decline in Planned Parenthood’s number of overall patients and its non-abortion services.
Central to Planned Parenthood’s abortion-centric plan are its new “mega-centers” (centers or offices of at least 10,000 square feet) that have opened in at least 19 cities since 2004. In this report, AUL documents that:
• Planned Parenthood’s mega-center expansion strategy coincides with its deliberate increasing focus on abortion as a core service.
• The number of abortions performed by Planned Parenthood has increased along with the addition of the mega-centers by more than 70,000 abortions annually.
• Planned Parenthood mega-centers strategy coincides with its increasing share of the abortion market: from performing 20 percent to at least 32 percent of all abortions in the United States.
• Planned Parenthood’s roll-out and expansion of its mega-centers strategy has occurred even while its overall client base has declined by nearly 10 percent.
• Many of Planned Parenthood’s non-abortion services (including cancer screening and other preventive services) have simultaneously declined by more than 50 percent.
• Mega-center expansion coincides with increased taxpayer funding of Planned Parenthood; the over half a billion dollars a year that Planned Parenthood now takes from the taxpayer represents over 40 percent of its overall revenue.
• Planned Parenthood’s mega-center and abortion-centric trajectory has been expedited under the leadership of current Planned Parenthood Federation of America President, Cecile Richards.
• Mega-centers effectively cement Planned Parenthood’s abortion-centric business model.
• Planned Parenthood’s mega-center focused business model preys on competitors and undermines its legal arguments against medically appropriate health and safety standards.
• Planned Parenthood has often sought to deceive local communities to hide its plans to open mega-centers.
Americans United for Life’s Mega Center Report is the most recent of our exposes of Planned Parenthood, the nation’s largest abortion provider. Below are links to other exposes we have published:
Click here to read our press release announcing the publication of the Mega Centers Report.